This article is the ninth in a series of nine which focuses on areas that I explore with my health and wellness coaching clients. Our health and well-being are so much more than just what we eat and how active we are, even though that is certainly part of it. What changes would you like to see in your life? Whether its nutrition, being physically active, reducing stress, being more in-tune with your mind body connection, or being more aware of your environment and its impact on health and wellness, there is always an opportunity to explore potential areas for change.
This month’s focus is on spirit and soul. Come and explore this dimension of health and wellness and tap into your inner self. We may find meaning in our lives through our sense of connectedness to others and to something outside of ourselves, better enabling us to handle the stressors of life.
Spirit and Soul
The Spirit and Soul domain of health and wellness touches upon beliefs, spirituality, values, faith, individual aspirations, personal sense of meaning, sense of connectedness, and sense of belonging to something greater than oneself. This may include connection to nature, religious affiliation and practices, spiritual beliefs, and/or areas of passion and humanitarianism just to name a few examples. Spiritual growth means more than simply sitting in church, attending a class, or meditating. Spiritual growth can come from simple pleasures like a few minutes of contemplative thought about your life, past, future, or anything that means a lot to you. The only requirement for spiritual growth is a willingness to think deeply about the values you possess and what matters most to you.
Tapping into your inner spirit and soul is important to really knowing who we are as individuals. There is no right or wrong answer, what’s meaningful and purposeful to you may not be the same as it is for anyone else. Tapping into that meaning and purpose may help us be better able to handle other physical and mental stressors thrown our way.
With summer fully in motion, it’s the perfect time to kick back with a cold beverage, whether or the beach, the back porch, or in your favorite chair in a comfy air-conditioned room and take some time to self-reflect. Or try one of the suggestions below.
Suggestions for summer fun and personal growth opportunities:
- Spend time around a campfire.
- Travel to the beach and watch the waves.
- Get away to a peaceful destination, such as a trail or park.
- Take a class or attend a retreat.
- Get a hammock, swing, or cozy chair for the porch, and create a retreat for yourself.
- Examine the value in the small things you do.
Questions to explore:
- What do you see as your personal mission in this world?
- How personally fulfilled are you, in terms of what you see as your personal mission in this world?
- What types of exploration might give you a deeper sense of meaning in life?
- Are there small changes that I could make today to increase my sense of purpose, connectedness, and value?
- Are there areas of spiritual development that I would like to explore?
Taking some time to tap into your inner soul and spirit through self-reflection is a great investment in yourself. You are worth it! Why not make this summer your time to reconnect with spirit and soul?
Sources and Citations:
A Time to Bloom Health and Wellness Coaching, LLC https://atimetobloomcoaching.com/
Vanderbilt Health Coaching Program, Resources for Health, and Wellness Coaches. https://www.vumc.org/health-coaching/health-coaching-program