This is an amazing recipe that I slightly modified from one that I have been making for several years. Friends were amazed that I had never had it when I tried it for the first time at a church social event. I went back home and lo and behold, it was in the church cookbook that while I used frequently, never knew this amazing recipe was hidden inside! Throw a few blueberries on top, and it has become my go-to Fourth of July recipe for something cool, sweet, and yummy. It’s the perfect layered dessert that is an awesome combination of sweet and salty. The variation of the original recipe was inspired by food.com and www.pinterest.com. You can make it in a square pan or in cute little mason jars. Either way you make it, it’s awesome!
- 2 ½ -3 cups miniature pretzel twists, crushed (place pretzels between 2 sheets of waxed paper or in a plastic sandwich bag and crush with rolling pin)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- ¾ cup melted butter
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 12-ounce container whipped topping
- 1 6-ounce box strawberry Jell-O
- 2 cups boiling hot water
- 2 16-ounce packages frozen sliced strawberries OR 2 ½ cups chopped fresh strawberries
- ¾ – 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (250 degrees if using a glass pan or mason jars).
- Finely crush the pretzels by placing them between 2 sheets of waxed paper and crushing with a rolling pin. Place the crumbs in a medium-size mixing bowl. Add the melted butter and sugar and stir to combine. Press the crust mixture into the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan or add to 8-10 half pint-sized mason jars placed on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- Mix cream cheese and 1 cup sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping (reserve about ¼ of whipped topping for garnish). Spread to edge of dish or mason jar on top of pretzel layer. For mason jars, you will use about 2-3 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture for each mason jar to cover the crust. Use a spoon to seal the cream over the crust so the Jell-O does not get into the crust.
- Dissolve Jell-O in water in a bowl. After Jell-O is somewhat set, fold in strawberries and blueberries, reserving some for garnish. Mix well and put in refrigerator until thickened. Pour over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until firm and ready to serve, at least one hour.
- Add a dollop of whipped topping on top and garnish with a few berry slices, blueberries, and a mini-pretzel twist.
Soooo good! I hope those enjoying this tasty treat love it as much as I do. I get so many compliments whenever I make and serve this. It’s great ANY time of the year. Enjoy!
Feature image from www.pinterest.com